When the weather is warm here in Phoenix, which covers most of the year, most people want to spend as much time as they can enjoying it. In addition to all of the local attractions, you may also spend a fair bit of time in your own backyard. To truly make the most of your yard, especially in the evenings, you’ll need to install outdoor lighting.
Types of Outdoor Lighting
You’ll find countless options available to you in the outdoor lighting realm, but they generally fall into a few primary categories:
- Landscape Lighting – This lighting style, as you might have guessed from the name, illuminates the flowers, trees, bushes and other plant life in your garden. You’ll find lights that shine up high into trees, those that aim light down onto flowers and groundcover, and everything in between.
- Path Lighting – These low lights are perfect for along any footpaths that make their way throughout your yard, as well as along the edges of your driveway. This way, visitors to your home will be able to see where they are going after the sun has gone down. Many of these lights use solar power, eliminating the need for electrical cables and making it easy to install outdoor lighting of this style.
- Wall Lighting – Wall-mounted lighting is a great choice because it may be relatively easy for your electrician to run cabling to the lights. These lights are great for brightening up your patio, especially if you like to dine outdoors or hang out outside with your friends at night.
- Overhead Lighting – You’ll need to have some kind of patio covering to install outdoor lighting overhead. Your electrician can then run the necessary wires out to the light. To help keep bugs at bay, choose an outdoor ceiling fan with lights. The moving air discourages flying insects from hanging around.
How to Install Outdoor Lighting
When it comes to electrical work, it is always a good idea to leave the task to the professionals. In working with your electrician, you’ll likely go through the following stages:
- Design – The first step is to create the overall lighting design for your space. This will involve planning the types of lights you’ll need and where they will go. If you are completing other work on your yard at the same time, your electrician will coordinate with your landscape architect and other contractors to ensure everything is cohesive.
- Light Selection – Now that you have an overall sense of the design, you can start choosing the specific light fixtures you like. Be honest with your contractors about your budget so they can make recommendations that are in line with what you can comfortably afford.
- Installation – The last step is to install the outdoor lighting you have chosen. Depending on the lighting styles, this may involve running new electrical cables underground or through your walls of patio cover to reach the lights as needed. This step should also include thorough testing of everything to ensure it is working properly.
Trust Turn It On Electric to Install Outdoor Lighting for Your Phoenix Home
When you need to install outdoor lighting in your backyard, you can count on Turn It On Electric to get the job done right. We’ll ensure that everything is cabled properly and that all of the lights are rated to withstand the elements over the years. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.