In Maricopa and Pima counties, we have about the same number of new homes as we do 80-year-old homes. Most Phoenix-area houses were built between 1970-1999. But your home doesn’t have to be pre-World War II to consider electrical rewiring.
Electrical Rewiring Facts
Electrical wiring should last 50-70 years if installed correctly. A lot depends on prior renovations and the wiring’s sheathing. The wiring itself is a conductor. The “sheathing” is a flexible plastic material that protects the wiring.
You need electrical rewiring if your home’s wiring is ungrounded or damaged. Damaged sheathing can often be repaired. But ungrounded wiring means you don’t have a ground wire to connect the circuit to the panel.
- Advances in electrical safety codes can mean your wiring is unsafe.
- Environmental factors can directly affect electrical wiring.
- The electrical wiring may now be faulty due to unpermitted remodeling, unlicensed “handyman” electrical repairs, or DIY (do-it-yourself) electrical rewiring.
- The original contractor may not have installed the electrical wiring correctly.
11 Electrical Warning Signs
If your home is more than 40 years old, it’s a good idea to ask your local electrician to inspect your home’s wiring. If your home’s rewiring is even older, there’s no need to wait for these electrical warning signs:
- Arcs/sparks from outlet when you plug/unplug a cord
- Burning smell
- Buzzing/sizzling sounds
- Cracked, cut, broken insulation
- Dimming/flickering lights indicating the circuit is overloaded or has a loose connection
- Electrical shock when you plug in/touch cord
- Frequent blown fuses/tripped breakers
- Hot/discolored switch plates, cords, plugs
- Lightbulbs that burn out too soon in a particular socket indicates the fixture can’t handle the bulb wattage
- Loose outlets
- Over-amped/over-fused electrical panel
…Arrange for an electrical inspection this year.
State Farm* recommends periodic electrical inspections for any age home. Here are common situations that justify an inspection.
- There have been major home improvements
- You have aluminum wiring
- You rely on extension cords for power
- You’ve added major new appliances that could strain your electrical system
- Your home has ungrounded, two-prong outlets
- Your home is more than 40 years old
…You should arrange for an electrical inspection sooner, rather than later.
TIO Electric Services Include Electrical Inspection
Savvy homeowners have their heating and cooling systems checked fall and spring. Annual plumbing inspections are routine for many homeowners. You don’t have to wait for an electrical hazard to arrange for an electrical inspection. It’s just logical.
Your home’s probably your biggest investment and it just makes sense to protect it.
A residential electrical inspection includes checking for and testing:
- DIY wiring
- Electrical hazards
- Exposed wires
- Level of service
- Noncompliant electrical items
- Outdated wiring
- Safety switches
- Smoke alarms
- Uncovered wiring
Turn It On Electric serves Phoenix and Tucson-area communities. Our team is licensed, bonded, & insured. We invest in continuing education because technology moves fast: We want to be able to knowledgeably speak to electrical advancements that will improve your quality of life and save energy.
Contact TIO Electric if you have questions. We’re passionate about your safety.
*Turn It On Electric does not recommend nor endorse any insurance service provider. This information is for educational use only.